Countdown to Spratlys

    Currently the DX0DX Team members are in Palawan. They are expecting word within the next 24-48 hours. Further updates on the website and twitter – (January 9)

    From DX0DX Team – (January 7)

    We are still in Palawan. VK3FY has been working very hard to secure final approvals in Manila the entire last week.

    We now have our gear out of customs and are ready to load the container with provisions etc. The toughest obstacle remaining is the final approval to make the trip, and we still do not know how long this may take before a decision is rendered.

    Logistics for some is a minor issue as many of us must check out of the current hotel and go to another tomorrow.

    Chris VK3FY, our team leader, is arrving late morning and we will call a team meeting to adjust our schedule – keying off any approval date which may be received.

    Since the boat will take 2 days to reach the island, and we can fly there in 1 hour by plane, we cannot leave Palawan until we know our food and water is safely on Pagasa.

    So as it stands:

    1. Get Approval 2. Load Boat (1 day) 3. Boat Transit (2 days) 4. Fly to Pagasa. 5. Setup Camps (2 days).

    Basically, we are looking at 5-6 days from receipt of approval until activation.

    Wish we had more definitive (and better news) but that’s where we are, and Chris wanted to keep “the deserving” in the loop as best we can.

    That is all at the moment, we will try our best to keep everybody updated on this situation.