OCTOBER 22, 2018 @ 07:00z
Lots of people have been asking how is Ken and what’s latest news. At this time Ken is ok and still in Chad. Had he been fully operational as TT8KO, his return home would have been yesterday; as such he is overdue. Ken stated he will give an update later today.
OCTOBER 18, 2018 @ 13:30z
Last night I was informed that a police order has been issued preventing me from leaving CHAD, even w/o equipment. Status of my return flight has changed to “open”. The norwegian embassy and foreign ministry is now working on the issue. I get many emails every day from DXers around the world with kind words – it keeps the spirit up – thanks! Hotel staff also very supportive. Still waiting.
OCTOBER 17, 2018 @ 10:15z
This morning I changed my return ticket so will leave Chad on Thursday 18th – within 24h from now. However, I am still not allowed to disassemble the equipment until inspection is completed as everything must remain as is. I intend to take my Elecraft K3 radio and antennas with me, but I don’t have more info than that. Will keep you updated if any change. Thanks for all kind words.
OCTOBER 16, 2018 @ 12:30z
Kenneth has again been in touch to say he will give an update soon. He’s still waiting on security police. QRX..
OCTOBER 13, 2018 @ 19:10z
Manana manana. I have been through 2 interrogations by the security police. More about that later. My gear has been disconnected. The antennas on the roof are locked down, I cannot access them even for visual inspection or maintenance. I am not allowed to touch anything. And I mean anything. When I did it was reported. Everything has to remain in the same position, no alterations are accepted, not even to tighten a loose nut. The beam failed once during the first 24 hours which I managed to fix with a spare part. From ground level I can now see the reflector element is out of position, as yesterday we had a brief storm.
This morning I also saw my red beverage wire being hit by apparently a colour blind bird during landing – very poor landing skill ! The security police have – through their investigation – concluded that all my documents are ok – and I have done all correctly. However, what now causes the delay is the fact that ARCEP, who issued all documents, did not inform the security police. The police do not issue authorizations, but supervise the national security. The police are now after ARCEP, not me. Still, even after lots of meetings, believe me, I have tried everything, they can’t say when they will inform me.
So, while waiting for the police – there is absolutely nothing more to be done. I might get a phone call in 5 min or never. I don’t know. If there is no decision by the police very soon – I will return home. Thanks to everyone for supporting me – my safety here is no problem!
OCTOBER 13, 2018 @ 09:00z
Kenneth has been in touch to say he will give an update later today. We’ll publish that update as soon as we receive it. QRX.
OCTOBER 12, 2018 @ 12:45z
Waiting for the President of Republic of Tchad (Idriss Deby) to return to the country at 15:00 UTC today. After that the Chief of National Security Police, who is with the President, will personally check the radio himself. It’s no joke. They say I probably can continue today, but no promises. If this delay continues even more I will return home.
OCTOBER 11, 2018
The inspection of the equipment by the national security police has been postponed until tomorrow. No time given. Equipment has been disconnected. The Head of the police himself is travelling with the President, and when they return from abroad tomorrow, the Head of police will check the equipment personally with his technicians. All papers are ok and issued by Ministry. Apart from that, all is ok here.
Until then I catch up with some sleep, it was a very intense first 24h completing the installation and being on the air same time with 2135 Qs. The hotel is really great, fantastic take-off. The beverage is also working very well. Yesterday the Mosley beam failed, but I replaced one inductor this morning.
I was running on the 40m dipole on 15m last 30 min yesterday. Fantastic signals from NA on 15 and 40m! Until then the log for the first 24h has been uploaded to Club Log.
OCTOBER 10, 2018
Security police shut down the station this evening. TT8KO is temporary QRT until tomorrow 10 UTC when they will decide if I can continue. I think this is temporary until all license and equipment admission documents have been reviewed by security police together with Ministry, followed by a CW demo. So far 2150 Qs in log first 24 hours. All antennas have been installed except 160m vertical.
AUGUST 23, 2018
Republic of Chad Single-op DXpedition, 09 – 21 Oct 2018 by Kenneth LA7GIA
DXpedition booked for 12 days. Finally I obtained the VISA which took me some time. Usually getting a VISA is “easy”, but this time my professional VISA agent had to go to their European Embassy twice to obtain it!
Chad is ranked pretty high up worldwide on lower bands, even higher for NA west coast. It’s been a few years since the last single-op activation, and some more years since a group activated this entity. A couple of single op operations are not valid for DXCC.
The QTH will be a hotel in N’Djamena. There are unfortunately not many suitable and quiet locations (noise wise).
But the plan is to have the beam and dipoles high up about 25-30 meter. There are space for low band verticals and receiving antennas. I also plan to avoid the static season.
I will use the following equipment.
1 x Radio Elecraft K3 (upgraded)
1 x Radio KX3 as backup
1 kW amplifier
My favourite 2 el Mosley beam: 20-17-15-12-10m up abt 25 meter
80m antenna, toploaded vertical – SPIDERBEAM POLE
Various backup TX antennas for different bands.
Various RX antennas: K9AY, BOG and beverage, some homebrew and some sponsored by Remoteqth.com
TBD – still planning
40/30m dipole or possible 2 el wire beam? up 25-30 meter.
160m antenna, toploaded vertical. Abt 28-30m vertical section.
backup, backup, backup ..
Modes: CW (+ maybe SSB). No digi mode planned.
QRX until next month for more info.