FEBRUARY 25 @ 12:20 UTC – Log Uploads. Lots of emails and general angst over log uploads. If and when an upload occurs it will be immediately announced. As mentioned in the earliest days of the operation, having a consistent and stable connection with the available satellites has shown to be a challenge. Thus far, the DXpedition has made itself widely available on many bands and modes. This will continue. Our goal is to provide as many ATNO contacts as possible.

FEBRUARY 23, 2020 — We are unable to find a solid satellite connection on the island. We are waiting to change to a different satellite, but it’s not clear there will be any difference. We know it is not a hardware problem because we have 3 satellite terminals of this model and one of another model. If we can not find a solid connection we will try to upload logs from the ship every day, and even that path to the satellite is very poor.

They are are continuing to install additional antennas today. It’s cold and difficult to use hand tools in the wind.

FEBRUARY 22 @ 22:10 UTC – Look for VP8PJ to become active on 20m, 40m, and possibly 160m in the following hours. Operating positions will slowly come online as antennas and station configurations are completed. In the earliest hours of the operation, there will be NO real-time logging available. Announcement on the real-time logging being active will follow.

FEBRUARY 21 @ 15:30 UTC – The process of assembling the camp continues and is going well, but will continue throughout today and tomorrow. At this juncture, we anticipate being “on the air” sometime on Sunday the 23rd. Announcements regarding this will be forthcoming.

FEBRUARY 21 @ 13:30 UTC— The ice has cleared enough to get the equipment ashore. Twelve team members on the island moving equipment to our preferred site. Two team members on the ship assisting with the off loading. It will take today and tomorrow to set up camp. It’s cold, light winds, but dry at the moment.

FEBRUARY 20  @ 15:00 UTC – After initial survey, we’re waiting for a wind change which is expected tomorrow. If the ice situation does not change significantly, we’ll try an alternate site tomorrow. Currently, cold with occasional snow flurries.

FEBRUARY 20 @ 12:30 UTC – We have ice to contend with regarding our planned landing area. The ice was pushed in during the previous days, but we are expecting the winds to change and blow the ice out. We are currently looking for an alternate site to unload, then move the equipment to the planned site. An alternative camp/operations area is being considered as we evaluate current conditions.

FEBRUARY 20 @ 08:00 UTC – Braveheart & team arrived Signy island. They are anchored offshore. Zodiac trips unloading equipment will commence soon.

FEBRUARY 19 @ 12:20 UTC – The Braveheart is on schedule with the team reporting relatively smooth seas. Arrival to Signy Island expected later today.  Operations to go ashore expected to commence early tomorrow.

FEBRUARY 18 @ 17:00 UTC – Approx 350 miles to run. Few icebergs in the vicinity. Tracker

FEBRUARY 18 @ 0800 UTC – Good progress being made. Seas appear decent.

FEBRUARY 17 @ 1800 UTC – Approx 600 miles to go.

FEBRUARY 17 @ 0800 UTC. The team power on towards South Orkney. Winds / seas seem reasonable.

FEBRUARY 15 @ 18:00 UTC – Team now on their way. [tracker]. HyGain vertical installed. Standby for ZL1NA/MM later.

Credit: N7QT)

FEBRUARY 15 @ 12:00 UTC – We’re on schedule to depart Punta Arenas this afternoon (3PM local). In one hour at 10AM local we will leave the hotel and move to the Braveheart with our personal gear. You can track our progress while at sea:

FEBRUARY 14 – This morning’s schedule was reversed due to late arriving fuel trucks. We loaded the team’s equipment first and will take on fuel this afternoon.

Everything looks to be in good order and the crew is busily stowing the equipment in a particular sequence so we can reverse the process and offload in a priority sequence.

The weather is cool, with some periods of rain. We had coffee with Skipper Matt and owner Nigel, then outside to watch the loading process.

We’re on schedule for Saturday afternoon departure.

FEBRUARY 12 – The team will use callsign ZL1NA/MM during the voyage between Punta Arenas to Signy Island. QSL also via M0URX. In addition, Nigel Jolly arrived Punta Arenas. He contacted the freight agent and arranged to load the Braveheart on Friday morning. Team still on schedule to leave for Signy on Saturday.

FEBRUARY 11, 2020 — So far, all on schedule. Most of team arrived in Punta Arenas, Chile with the longest travel time being 40 hours: Perth, Australia => Sydney => Auckland => Santiago, Chile => Punta Arenas. Remainder of the team due on Wednesday. Braveheart expected in on Feb 13th or 14th, we load the ship on the 14th and depart for Signy Island on Feb 15th. Depending on the weather, 6 days travel time to the island.